This year the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers is proud to introduce a new event to our spectacular Festival. Culture to Couture is an initiative intended to inspire budding designers and artists to create and showcase individual and original high-end fashion at the Ergon Energy Flower, Food & Wine Festival from Friday the 20th to Sunday the 22nd of September 2013.
This innovative program will offer a unique opportunity to learn essential fashion design principles, processes and practices from concept and creation through completion to catwalk.
Be a part of Culture to Couture and have the chance to share your own individual cultural story through your creation and have it showcased in style at our award winning cultural festival.
You will have the opportunity to attend workshops and master classes taught by renowned Designer Carolyn Taylor-Smith to learn key skills, cutting edge techniques and gain valuable creative insight.
How do I find out more?
Carolyn will be holding information sessions for this incredible initiative on Friday the 14th of June 2013 at the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers office to answer any questions and to outline the event in more detail.
What if I have a question?
If you are part of a business and would like to be part of the parade, but don’t have the time or resources to build your own float, you can take part in the Adopt a Float program. The Adopt a Float program allows community organisations to build floats with funds generously donated by business. Adoption fees generally range from $1,650-$2,750 inclusive of GST. To register for the Adopt a Float Program, complete an Expression of Interest form.
The popularity, reach and media appeal of the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers offers a range of attractive sponsorship opportunities.
From events to branding opportunities, there is a wealth of potential to showcase your business, product and brand awareness during our spring festival.
For further information please contact:
Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers
Phone: 07 4688 6912
Oh the possibilities are simply tempting! If you’re a winery, restaurant, café, nursery, landscape designer, fresh farm producer, organic supplier, artist or floral designer and would like to be involved in this year’s Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers, look no further than the Ergon Energy Flower, Food & Wine Festival.
With a strong line-up of musicians, entertainers, guest speakers and media partnerships to attract and involve patrons, the Festival provides a unique vehicle for retailers, producers, artists and manufacturers to engage with the general public.
Providing excellent exhibitor benefits including the opportunity to raise product awareness, the generation of immediate (and future) sales plus the benefit of the Festival’s associated public relations campaign, space at this year’s Festival will be in high demand!
As an Ambassador, you will be a proud and enthusiastic champion of the Carnival and the greater Toowoomba region.
Who can apply?
The Carnival Ambassador Program is open to any person between 18 and 30 years of age who lives or works in the Toowoomba Regional Council area
Do I need specific qualifications or achievements to apply?
Yes. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have made a contribution to the growth, prosperity and development of the Region as a destination of choice for residents and visitors alike.
When can I apply?
*Please note that Applications for the 2013 Toowoomba Carnival Ambassador Program are now closed.
We look forward to seeing your interest in 2014!
What if I have a question?
Are you looking for a rewarding experience?
Do you want a career in tourism or events?
Would you like unlimited access to all Carnival events for FREE?
Volunteer for the 2013 Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers and together let's make it the best one yet!
The Carnival Team are looking for helping hands on a range of projects in the lead up to, and during the events.
Volunteering for the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers isn't difficult. Pick a time slot, a task that suits you and wait in anticipation for Carnival time to arrive - because you are going to have a tonne of fun!
*To gain access to all carnival events at no cost, you only need to offer 4 hours of your time!
In my last year at high school I volunteered at the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Parade. I really enjoyed the opportunity and four months later I found myself working in the Carnival of Flowers Office! You never can tell where a few hours volunteering can lead. For me it was the beginning of my career.
Volunteer positions for Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers 2013 will be open from the 1 of June 2013.
We hope you will join us!
Now in its 65th year, the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers continues to prosper and delight visitors and residents alike each Spring.
Marking the official commencement of the Carnival is the Floral Parade, proudly sponsored by Grand Central. The only fresh floral parade of its kind in Australia, it features floral floats, colourful characters, entertainers, local and visiting bands and other visual elements – this vibrant street celebration is not to be missed!
Corporate Floral Float
A visual display on a self-propelled float or towed by a vehicle entered by any commercial business decorated with 50% or more of fresh floral and living matter.
Community Floral Float
A visual display on a self-propelled float or towed by a vehicle entered by community-based clubs, associations or groups decorated with 50% or more fresh floral and living matter. Evidence of group's Charitable Status or Incorporation must be included in the application.
Float entry from outside the immediate Toowoomba area entered by other festivals, cities, councils or countries. An element of fresh floral theming must be added to the float entry in the spirit of the event.
Marching / Walking Group
Open to community or corporate walking groups, precision marching groups and local, national or international groups attired in traditional dress or costume. Walking groups must incorporate fresh floral elements into their entry. Due to the Parade size maximum 40 walkers per entry.
Creative or Visual Entry
Open to individuals or groups, entries in this category may use colour, innovative materials, creative theming and/or performance to create a distinct visual impact within the Parade.
Open to costumed characters and mascots. Entries in this category are encouraged to be entertaining, enthusiastic, colourful and must have plenty of personality.
The Grand Central Floral Parade is well renowned for its fresh floral theme. Parade floats and entries will incorporate fresh flowers into their design and theming.
To ensure the quality of the event, all entries need to be of a high standard and meet the entry criteria developed by the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group.
All bands should present a performance that is fun and enjoyable.
Band entries should incorporate choreography and appropriately themed repertoire (where possible) to enhance the spirit of the Carnival. Floral theming of attire and instruments is encouraged.
The Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers office must receive all expressions of interest to perform by 5:00pm WEDNESDAY 30 APRIL 2014. Entries after this date will be accepted at the sole discretion of the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group.
As there are a limited number of spaces available for bands in this year's Parade, submitting an expression of interest does not mean automatic acceptance. Upon receiving your fully completed form, the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group will decide your eligibility. Your acceptance will be determined by your entry description, supporting information and ability to meet the entry criteria and Parade conditions of entry. All applications will be assessed and successful applicants notified by FRIDAY 28 JUNE 2013.
If your entry is accepted, your parade instructions and an assembly area/parade route map will be forwarded to you in due course.
Grand Central Floral Parade Conditions of Entry
The following conditions of entry apply to all Grand Central Floral Parade Band entrants:
- The Band, its members, employees, agents and invitees ("Band" or "entrant" or "entries") participate in the Parade at their own risk.
- Bands must observe all applicable rules and regulations and follow all instructions from Police or Parade Officials. The Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group reserves the right to remove any entrant from the Parade that does not comply with the Parade Conditions of Entry.
- All band entries are by invitation only and must be approved by the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group at its sole discretion. Accepted entries will receive written notice. Entries are encouraged to incorporate theming, as long as it is in good taste.
- No children under the age of eight (8) will be allowed to walk in the Parade without prior approval from the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group.
- Your assembly area and assembly time will be forwarded to you in a separate letter.
- Material may not be handed out along the Parade route. Distribution of candy, gifts, merchandise, literature or other material along the line is strictly prohibited.
- Soliciting for money/donations is strictly prohibited.
- Marching entries are permitted forward manoeuvres ONLY. A spacing of 15 metres between each entry will be enforced. All entries are required to close the gap between participants when asked by Parade Officials.
- Parade participants may not mingle and must remain clear of Parade route spectators.
- Floats and other entries advocating, opposing or depicting any political, religious or social issues are subject to approval by Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group or their representative.
- Alcoholic beverages are strictly forbidden on any float, in any vehicle or on the person of any participant. Participants consuming alcohol prior to or during the Parade will be removed from the line-up and will not be allowed to participate in the Parade.
- No additional vehicles and/or persons (including, but not limited to cars, vans, scooters and marchers) will be allowed to accompany units, unless deemed essential by the Creative Team.
- The Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group or their representative reserves the right to withdraw any entry where costuming or performance does not meet parade conditions of entry or does not conform to the standards of reasonable public taste.
- Entries that do not appear on Parade day without prior notification to the Carnival office, or do not comply with the conditions of entry, will jeopardise their future invitations to the Grand Central Floral Parade.
- The Toowoomba Regional Council does not accept responsibility or liability for travel expenses, food or lodging of any entrant. Refer to Fee & Expenses in the Expression of Interest form for clarification of what financial contribution participating bands may be eligible to receive.
- The Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group decision regarding all entries is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers Working Group will, at its discretion, award a limited number of grants of up to $1,000 each to not-for-profit organisations that participate in the Parade. These grants will be awarded to those applicants that can best demonstrate how the additional funds would improve and enhance their Parade entry and assist them to meet the Parade’s fresh floral criteria. Only those not-for-profit organisations that have completed this application will be considered for a grant.